Here's just another reason I hope Barack Obama is our next president: Joe Romm, one of the foremost thinkers on global warming, gives a big ol' thumbs up to Obama's energy and climate plan. Some of the things Romm highlights:
Obama definitely understands that you need smart regulations and government mandates to get clean energy technologies into the marketplace — and to stop traditional coal plants from being built. His plan includes:
- Establish a National Low Carbon Fuel Standard.
- Require 25 Percent of Electricity to Come from Renewable Sources by 2025.
- Flip Incentives to Energy Utilities ... by ensuring companies get increased profits for improving energy efficiency, rather than higher energy consumption.
- Implement legislation that phases out traditional incandescent light bulbs by 2014.
- Double fuel economy standards within 18 years