According to a survey conducted by C-SPAN of historians and presidential experts, George W. Bush overall ranks 36th out of the 42 presidents:
Bush scored lowest in international relations, where he was ranked 41st, and in economic management, where he was ranked 40th. His highest ranking, 24th, was in the category of pursuing equal justice for all. He was ranked 25th in crisis leadership and vision and agenda setting.
Presidents who placed lower than Bush:
37. Millard Fillmore (Whig), who signed the Fugitive Slave Act
38. Warren G. Harding (Republican),whose cabinet sold off public oil fields to cronies
39. William Henry Harrison (Whig), who died on his 32nd day in office
40. Franklin D. Pierce (Democrat), who opened up the expansion of slavery in the West
41. Andrew Johnson (National Union), who blew Reconstruction and was impeached
42. James Buchanan (Democrat), who failed to avert the civil war
#36 is still a bit better than in 2006 when Rolling Stone's Sean Wilentz called Bush "the worst president in history."
Via the AP.